If you earn income from an employer, you should receive a W-2 early in the year. Employers must mail these out by January 31, 2023 for tax year 2022. If you’re missing a W-2, you can reach out to your employer, contact the Social Security Administration (SSA), or request a copy from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

In order to file your tax return, you’ll need to be able to report your taxable income. For most workers, this means providing details of your wages from your W-2. While it can take until early to mid-February for some to receive this form in the mail, if you did not receive one, here’s what to do:

  • Reach out to your employer. This is usually the easiest and fastest way to get a copy of your W-2. You may be able to request one online through your HR portal or you can reach out to your HR representative to request a copy, either online or through the mail.
  • Contact the Social Security Administration. If you need a copy of your W-2 for a Social Security reason, like obtaining your benefits, you can request a copy for free by mailing a letter to the SSA. If you need a copy to file your tax return, or for another non-Social Security reason, there is a `$126 charge, which you can pay online or through the mail by check.

Request a transcript from the IRS. Since W-2s are required to be sent to the IRS, as well as taxpayers, you can also request a transcript of your W-2 form from the IRS. You can do this for free by using the Get Transcript tool online. Data for the current tax year may not be on file if the IRS is still waiting on your employer to submit tax forms.