What address should I use for my tax return? What if I moved?

Modified on Tue, 31 Jan 2023 at 08:12 PM

When filing your tax return, it’s important to list your current address, even if you recently moved and your address was different for the tax year you’re filing. Whenever you change addresses, you can let the IRS know by filling out a change of address form.

Knowing which address to provide the IRS can be tricky, especially if you move a lot, or were transitioning between homes in a particular tax year. It’s important to always file with your current address, so the IRS knows where to reach you.

Each time you move, you can notify the IRS by filling out a change of address form. This is important, because the IRS will always contact you via mail first. If they do not have your current address on file, you may miss important notifications from the government.

To notify the IRS that you’ve moved, you can fill out tax form 8822, Change of Address (for Individual, Gift, Estate, or Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax Returns). You can also change your business address by filling out form 8822-b. You can then mail this to the IRS.

You can also reach out to the IRS by phone to confirm a change of address. Be prepared to give the agent your full name, previous and new address, date of birth, and either your Social Security number, individual taxpayer identification number, or employer identification number.

If your address changes after you have filed your tax return, you can contact the IRS and should also complete the USPS official change-of-address form.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article