How do I file if I live and/or work in multiple states?

Modified on Sun, 05 Feb 2023 at 08:03 PM

Filing your taxes can be complicated — especially if you live or work in more than one state. Luckily, you’ll only need to file one federal tax return. But you may have to file more than one state tax return

You also won’t have to worry about states taxing you twice on the same income. You’ll only be taxed once, though you may pay income taxes to two separate states. 

Not all states charge income tax, so you’ll want to check to see if the multiple states you’re living in or working in have income tax, first.

Here’s general advice for those who lived or worked in multiple states in 2022:

If you moved during 2022 and lived in two different states, you’ll typically need to file two state tax returns. If you own or rent housing in two different states, a residency test may be used to determine which states you’ll owe taxes in. Your residency may be determined by evaluating if you lived in a state for 183 days or longer, looking at where you voted, and reviewing which state you were issued a driver’s license in.

When you work in two states, you also typically have to file two state tax returns. You’ll typically file a resident tax return in the state where you live and a nonresident tax return in the state you do not live in.

If you’re a remote worker and your employee is located in another state, your state's taxes are often withheld and paid to the state where you live. This would prevent you from having to file multiple state tax returns. A handful of states may apply the “Convenience of the Employer” rule and withhold your state taxes based on the state where the employer is located. In this case, you may need to file multiple state tax returns.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article