Can I e-file my 1040X to amend my return?

Modified on Tue, 21 Feb 2023 at 08:04 PM

If you filed your tax return and the IRS requested an amended return you can file either online through a tax software program, with an accountant or CPA, or through the mail.

1040X is the tax return form you must file if the IRS requests an amended return from you. In most cases, you’ll just need to fix the incorrect information on your form and then submit your corrected return.

With online tax software, you can generally log in and follow the provided steps. Some online tax software might let you fill out your amended return online with their software, but then require you to print and mail in the forms to the IRS.

If you'd like to work with an accountant or CPA, simply schedule an appointment to fill out and submit your amended return. They’ll be able to guide you through the process.

Lastly, if you filed your taxes on your own, you can fill out tax form 1040X and then resubmit it to the IRS through the mail.

You can check the status of your amended tax return online through the IRS website with its “Where’s My Amended Return?” tool.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article