Why do I need to enter my spouse's SSN to file separately?

Modified on Wed, 24 Jan at 3:34 PM

The IRS requires your spouse’s social security number to be reported on a married filing separately tax returns if filed electronically. 


How can I get this information?

There are several ways to get this information. The first thing we suggest is to reach out to your spouse for this information. Your social security number will be required for them to electronically file their return as well. 


Look at prior year tax returns. If you have ever filed separately or jointly in the past, this information will be on prior year tax returns. If you’re unable to find those tax returns, you can request a transcript from the IRS. 


What happens if I can’t get this information?

If you are unable to get this information, you will be unable to file electronically. This means you will need to fill out your return yourself and physically mail it into the IRS. Do not forget to hand sign all the areas referring to the taxpayer (that’s you).


This content is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as tax, legal, financial, accounting, or other advice. Rules and regulations vary by location and are subject to change, so please consult with an expert if you need advice specific to you.


Any third-party links are provided for informational purposes only. The third parties and their sites are not endorsed by Beem and Beem is not responsible for, and has no control over, their content, privacy policies, or terms of service.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select at least one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article